A Very Brief History of Wycliffe
Organized in 1963, Wycliffe Presbyterian Church first gathered in John B. Dey Elementary School under the leadership of Pastor Rev. J. Stanton Blain. Guided by the Presbyterian Association of Eastern Virginia, it was named for the English Bible translator and scholar John Wycliffe (1330-1384),. The 79-member congregation moved in 1966 to 8.3 acres at 1445 on the then two-lane N. Great Neck Road, and built an A-frame building across the pond from the present building. In 1973 an education building was constructed..
The congregation continued to grow in membership and mission under the leadership of its second pastor, The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Lawrence. On Christmas Eve 1983 the congregation moved into the current sanctuary facing N. Great Neck. The Fellowship Hall wing was added in 1988, and additions of an administrative wing, music suite, and several classrooms were constructed in 2015.
Wycliffe's membership, diverse in background, professions and age, has grown in number, faith, and service to the community under the leadership of Dr. William M. Shelton, March 1991-98.. Dr. James R. Alexander led the congregation from 1998 to May 2003. Dr. James Young was called as the pastor in 2004 and served until 2012. Wycliffe is currently led by Rev. Dr. Garrett Bugg who joined this community of believers in 2013.